Deep fried whole fish topped with spicy black bean sauce is a classic Chinese side dish to enjoy with plain rice or fried rice. Select any fish that is flat and thin with center bone.
Fish ... one whole (300 - 400 gms)
Rice flour .... 1 tbsp
Red chillies .. 1-2 (sliced)
Black bean sauce ... 2 tsps
Soy sauce ............. 1 tbsp
Rice wine vinegar ... 1 tbsp
Chilli sauce ............. 1 tbsp
Sugar .................... 1 tsp
Ginger ............... 1 inch piece (juliennes)
Garlic ............... 1 tbsp (crushed)
Spring onions .... 2-3
Corn starch ..... 1 tsp
Salt ... to taste
Oil .... for deep frying use any cooking oil.
For the sauce ..... 2 tbsps sesame oil.
1. Wash the fish well. Remove scales if there are any. Slit it carefully on the side.
2. Sprinkle salt on it and set aside until you fry it.
3. Pat it dry with a kitchen tissue.
4. Sprinkle rice flour on both sides.
5. Heat oil in a wok and deep fry the whole fish turning the sides carefully until it is done. Inside should be cooked well and outside crispy. It takes about 10-12 minutes depending on the size of the fish. Keep adjusting the flame.
6. Now to prepare the sauce heat sesame seed oil in a wok.
7. Add the red chillies, crushed garlic and half of the ginger juliennes. Saute.
8. Add all the sauces one by one. Add the sugar and salt. Be careful with the salt as the sauces already contain salt.
9. Add the spring onions and cook for half a minute..
10. Now mix the corn starch in half a cup of water and stir it in the sauces. Simmer until it thickens and the sauce is ready.
11. Place the fried fish on a serving platter. Pour the sauce over it just before serving.
.12. Garnish with spring onions and ginger juliennes. Serve with plain or fried rice.