Brinjals ... 200 gms ( choose small ones)
Tamarind extract .. 2-3 tbsps
Garlic ... 1 tsp (optional)
Salt ... to taste
Turmeric powder .. 1/2 tsp
Oil .. 2-3 tbsps
Asafoetida ... a pinch
Curry leaves .. few
Mustard seeds .. 1 tsp
For the Masala :( Dry roast and grind )
Coriander seeds .. 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds .... 1 tsp
Sesame seeds .. 1 tsp
Peanuts ...... 1 tbsp
Dry red chillies .. 2-3
Grated coconut .. 1 tbsp ( add this in the end )
1. Slit the brinjals leaving the stem on and soak them in salt water.
2. Dry roast and grind the masala ingredients. Add the coconut after all the other masalas are roasted as it leaves a little moisture. Saute until it is dried up.
3. Grind all these to a paste adding tamarind extract.
4. Mix salt and turmeric powder in the masala paste.
5. Stuff this into the brinjals.
6. In a pan heat oil and add the tempering ingredients ( Asafoetida, mustard seeds and curry leaves)
7. Tip in the stuffed brinjals. Reduce the flame and cover the pan.
8. Carefully turn them to cook evenly. Sprinkle a little water if needed.
Note: Cook all the time on very low flame for best results. If you are using baby brinjals you don't need any water as they cook fast.