This is a very nutritious curry and made without onion and garlic. You will surely love the sweet spicy and tangy flavours and it takes less than 10 minutes to prepare.
Green Tomatoes nutritional value:
These are loaded with fiber, proteins and carbohydrates which help us to maintain our blood pressure at normal and also reduce the risk of heart problems. They are also a good substitute for carrots to maintain good eye sight and keep our skin glowing.
So it is very important to include these in our diet in some form or the other. Apart from the curry you can also add them to your soups and salads, make a salsa or chutney.
Green tomatoes ....... 3-4 (or as needed)
Turmeric powder ..... 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder ..... 1/2 tsp
Salt ........................... as needed
Jaggery powder ......... 1 tsp
Coriander powder ....... 1 tsp
Garam masala ........... 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder .......... 1 tsp
Asafoetida ..... ...2 pinches
Cumin seeds .... 1 tsp
Mustard oil ...... 3-4 tbsps
1. Wash the tomatoes well and cut them into pieces.
2. Heat the mustard oil in a pan. Bring it to a smoking point and cool it a bit.
3. Add the asafoetida and cumin seeds.
4. When they crackle add the spice powders maintaining the flame low.
5. Give it a stir until they give out a nice aroma.
6. Add the tomato pieces.
7. Give a nice stir and increase the flame to medium.
8. Keep stirring intermittantly.
9. Half way through add the salt and jaggery powder.
10. Cover it and simmer until done. They get cooked in their own juices and no water is required.
11. It takes about 7-8 minutes for the curry to get cooked.
12. Keep the tomatoes little firm and don't over cook and make them mushy.
13. Serve with rotis / puris / khichdi