Try out these delicious lotus root koftas from the Sindhi Cuisine. They are easy to make and can be relished with rotis.
This recipe is part of the A-Z Recipe Challenge wherein we bloggers come together and choose key ingredients alphabetically to make and post a dish every month. The alphabet of the month is L and I chose to make Lotus Root Koftas.
Lotus root .. 1 large piece (1 &1/2 cups of thin slices boiled)
Onions ...... 2 medium sized (1 & 1/2 cups sliced)
Tomatoes ... 2
Potato ........ 1 (boiled)
Ginger ..... 1" piece (grated)
Garlic ..... 1 tbsp (crushed)
Green chillies ... 2 (finely chopped)
Bread crumbs ... 2 tsps or as required
Salt ................. to taste
Coriander powder .. 2 tsps
Cumin powder ....... 2 tsps
Turmeric powder .. 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder ... 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves .... handful
Oil .................. as needed for cooking and frying the koftas
1. Heat 2 tbsps of oil and add the onions. Fry them to a golden brown colour.
2. Add tomato, 1 green chilli, ginger and garlic. Add a cup of water and simmer.
3. Grind it with hand blender after it is cooled. Set aside.
4. Now grind the boiled lotus root, green chilli and some coriander leaves to a coarse texture using a chopper.
5. Mash the boiled potato. Remove the lotus root mixture in the same plate.
6. Add little salt, chilli powder, half of the cumin and coriander powders saving the rest for the gravy.
7. Next add about 2 tsps of bread crumbs for binding.
8. Mix everything well. Make round koftas from this mixture.
9. Heat the oil and fry them. Remove on a kitchen tissue.
10. Now take a pan and add about 1 tbsp of oil.
11. Add the remaining masalas to it and stir on low flame.
12. Stir in the ground onion paste and add little salt.
13. Add about one and half cups of water for the gravy.
14. Bring it to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes.
15. Before serving place the koftas in a dish and pour the hot gravy on them.
16. Garnish with coriander leaves.
17. This pairs well with rotis ...
See the recipe video