This is traditional dessert from Kerala. Jackfruit is a delicacy there and many desserts are made from this fruit. One of them is this simple pradhaman made with the addition of jaggery and coconut milk. Some also add chana dal to it and I prefer it this way as dal gives the thickness and added flavours to the dish.
Jackfruit ..... 1 cup
Chana dal .... 1/4 cup
Jaggery ....... 4-5 tbsps (crushed)
Coconut milk .... 100 ml (about 1/4 cup)
Cardamom powder ... 1-2 pinches
Cashewnuts .............. handful
Desi ghee ................ 1 tbsp
1. Cut the jackfruit into small pieces after removing the seeds.
2. Soak chana dal for 1-2 hours.
3. In a pressure cooker add the chana dal, jack fruit pieces and one and half cup water. You can also add the jaggery. Cook for 7-8 whistles.
4. After it is cooled blend this mixture with a hand blender or in a mixer. Pour it in a pan and bring to a boil. Add the cardamom powder for flavouring.
5. Stir in the thick coconut milk keeping the consistency to your preference. Remember that it thickens a bit after cooling because of the addition of chana dal.
6. Fry the cashew nuts lightly in the ghee and add to the prepared pradhaman. You can serve it warm or chilled.