This is a delicious one pot meat that can be relished without any side dish. It does not take a very long time to cook as the prawns get cooked very fast. Use medium sized prawns for this preparation.
Prawns .... 250 grms
Basmati rice .. 2 cups
Onion .......... 1 large
Tomato ....... 1
Green chillies .... 2
Ginger ......... 1 inch piece (grated)
Garlic ........ 1 tbsp (crushed)
Bay leaves .... 1-2
Cloves ......... 4-5
Green cardamoms ... 4-5
Cinnamon stick ..... 1 piece
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder ... 1/4 tsp
Garam masala powder .. 1/2 tsp
Mint leaves ... few
Yogurt ...... 2 tbsps
Lemon juice .. 2 tbsps
Salt ......... to taste
Oil ... 5-6 tbsps (plus a little desi ghee if preferrred)
1. Clean the prawns and marinate them with yogurt, lemon juice and salt. Wash the rice and soak it.
2. In a pan heat the oil and add the mentioned whole spices. When they leave out a nice aroma tip in the sliced onion and fry until golden brown in colour.
3. Add the chopped tomato, ginger, garlic and a little water. Simmer until it is cooked.
4. Now add the marinated prawns and saute until the water from the prawns dries up.
5. Now add 4 cups of water.
6. Add the slit green chillies, mint leaves and the spice powders. Add salt as needed.
7. Bring to a boil and tip in the soaked rice.
8. Cook until three fouth done. Reduce the flame to low and keep the pan covered for dum.
You can add a spoonful of desi ghee / clarified butter if you like.