Curry leaves - 2 cups (tightly packed)
Tamarind ... lemon size (soaked and seeds removed)
Garlic ... 5-6 cloves (crushed)
Dry red chillies .. 10 - 12 ( add as per your taste)
Urad dal ... 1 tbsp
Chana dal .. 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds .. 1 + 1 tsps (half is for tempering)
Cumin seeds ... 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds .. 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida .. a pinch
Turmeric powder .. 1/2 tsp
Salt .... to taste
Jaggery or sugar .. 1 tsp (optional)
Oil .... 1/2 cup ( preferably sesame seed oil )
1. Wash the curry leaves and drain them well.
2. Heat a little oil and saute them for one minute.
3. Grind the curry leaves and soaked tamarind coarsely.
4. Dry roast and grind the Urad dal, chana dal, dry red chillies, cumin, mustard and fenugreek seeds to a coarse powder.
5. Heat the remaining oil ( leaving 1 tbsp aside for tempering) and add the crushed garlic. Saute for half a minutes. Tip in the ground curry leaves paste and add salt. Stir for half a minute.
6. Now add the ground spice powder, turmeric powder.
7. Keep stirring until the oil separates. Heat a tbsp of oil and add the mustard seeds and asafoetida.When the seeds crackle mix the tempering to the prepared pickle.