Lentils ... 1 cup
Rice ...... 1 cup
Onions ... 1 large (sliced)
Black pepper ... 1/8 tsp
Cumin powder ... 1/2 tsp (or use garam masala)
Few almonds ... blanched and peeled (or use pine nuts)
Salt ................. to taste
Garlic ... 2-3 cloves crushed (optional)
Olive oil or butter .... 3-4 tbsps
1. Boil the lentils with some salt. Take care not to over cook them as we don't want them mushy. Drain them and set aside.
2. Boil the rice with salt. Drain and set aside. Traditionally the rice is cooked with lentils but I like it to be grainy. So I follow this method.
3. Fry the sliced onions until brown and crispy. Remove them on a kitchen tissue to drain the excess oil.
5. Now take a pan and add the oil or butter. If you are using garlic first saute it. Add the spice powders of your choice (either garam masala or cumin and black pepper)
6. Tip in the boiled lentils and rice stirring carefully not to break the rice.
7. Mix them well . Check for the salt and add if needed.
8. Spoon it in a serving platter and top it with fried onions and almonds or pine nuts
For the Chicken Kebab:
Chicken .. 200 gms (boneless cubes)
Lemon juice ..... 2 tbsps
Salt ............. as needed
Olive oil .. 2 tbsps
Mediterranean spice mix or garam masala ... 1 tsp
Onions ... cut into cubes
1. Marinate the chicken with salt and lemon juice.
2. Saute in a griddle with olive oil on medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until done. You may also bake it in an oven.
3. Now toss the onions in the same pan for a minute.
4. Put the chicken and onion cubes in the satay sticks alternately
5. Bring them back to the pan and sprinkle the spice mix over them.
6. Turn the sides a couple of times till the chicken is lightly charred.