During Makara Sankranti it is supposed to be auspicious to eat sesame seeds. Sesame seeds combined with jaggery taste very good. Many sweets are made with this combination for the festival.
Here is an easy recipe of Til Patti or til ki chikki. It requires only 4 ingredients and takes less than 15 minutes to make.
Sesame seeds - 1 cup
Organic Jaggery .. 1 cup
Sliced pistachios ..... 2 - 3 tbsps
Ghee / clarified butter .. 1 + 1 tsps
1. Dry roast the sesame seeds. Do this on medium flame taking care that they do not become black.
Remove them and set aside.
2. Now transfer the jaggery powder into the pan.
3. Keep stirring until it starts to melt.
4. Add 1 tsp of ghee and continue stirring on medium flame until it melts and starts bubbling.
5. Tip in the sesame seeds and half of the pistachios.
6. When it starts to form a lump remove the contents on a greased surface.
7. Flatten with the spatula first as it will be very hot.
8. Sprinkle the remaining pistachios
9. Smoothen it with back of a flat katori / bowl.
10. Now roll it out with a greased rolling pin as thin as you prefer.
11. Mark the divisions with a pizza cutter or a knife.
12. Allow it to cool and become firm.
13. Remove the brittle pieces in a container.
14. Close the lid only after it has cooled well.