Thecha / kharda is a Maharshtrian spicy dry chutney made with green chillies and garlic. It is extremely spicy and is usually served with jowar or bajra bhakri. To make a mild version you can add some roasted or fried peanuts and coriander leaves and the quantity can be adjusted to your liking. Thecha can also be made with fresh red chillies. A little bit of this spicy chutney taken with any meal adds flavour and zing to your taste buds specially those who like spicy food.
Green chillies ... about 1 cup (chopped)
Garlic .............. 1/4 cup
Peanuts .......... 1/4 cup
Fresh coriander ... 1 cup (chopped)
Salt .............. to taste
Oil........... 2 tbsps (preferably peanut oil)
1. Wash the chillies and dry them with a kitchen towel. Cut them into big pieces.
2. Heat oil in a pan and fry the peanuts. Remove them into a bowl.If you are using roasted peanuts then you don't need to fry them.
3. In the same oil tip in the chillies and saute them a little. Add the garlic pieces together with the chillies.
4. Remove them into a bowl and let them cool.
5. Grind all the ingredients coarsely adding a little salt to taste.
6. Saute the coriander leaves and add them to the ground chutney.
Note: This chutney is very spicy on the first day when you make and it becomes less spicier the next day.