Azuki beans or red chori are available very easily in Brazil. So we try to replace dals with them. I find them very versatile and have tried out many variations ...even the maah ki dal style. Today I have combined them with spinach. The dry version can be served with rotis or even relished as a snack by itself.
Azuki beans ... 1/2 cup
Spinach / palak .. 1 cup
Onion.............. 1 medium
Green chillies ... 1-2
Garlic ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2-3 pieces
Curry leaves .... 1 sprig
Mustard seeds ... 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds ...... 1/2 tsp
Red chillies ...... 1 (broken into pieces)
Turmeric powder .. 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder .. 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder ... 1/4 tsp (optional)
Tamarind juice or lemon juice .. 1 tbsp or as per your preference.
Salt .... to taste
Oil .. 2 tbsps
1. Soak azuki beans for few hours or overnight.
2. Boil them adding a little salt. Drain and set aside. You can use the water for soups or kneading the roti dough.
3. In a pan heat oil and add the tempering ingredients.. Mustard seeds, cumin seeds, broken red chillies and curry leaves.
4. When they crackle, add the lightly crushed garlic pieces and fry them until light brown.
5. Now tip in the sliced onion and saute until golden brown.
6. Now add the coarsely chopped palak leaves and stir fry.
7. Add the green chillies, salt, spice powders mentioned and the tamarind juice.
7. Stir in the boiled azuki and mix carefully.