Sago or sabudana is a food which is full of energy and carbohydrates. It is extracted from the center of sago palm stems in the form of starch. It is also known as tapioca pearls. If is one of the wholesome diet of starch and carbohydrates and is used in a lot of Indian dishes..
Sago / sabu dana .... 1 cup
Potatoes .... 2 medium
Curry leaves ........ 1/2 cup ( about 6-7 sprigs)
Cumin seeds ............ 1 tsp
Asafoetida ................ a pinch
Turmeric powder ..... a pinch
Sambar powder ....... 1 tbsp ( you may use equal quantity of any podi or dhaniya jeera powder instead)
Green chillies ........ 1-2 (slit)
Garlic paste ..... 1 tsp
Ginger paste .... 1 tsp
Dessicated coconut ... 1 tbsp
Crushed peanuts .. 2 tbsps
Lemon juice ... half lemon or as per your liking
Salt ........ to taste
Oil .... 2 tbsps
Coriander leaves ... handful
1. Soak the sago with just enough water to cover them. Set aside for 1 hour or more.
2. When the water is absorbed spread them on the kitchen towel. They may be sticky initially but spread them and keep separating them with your hands from time to time until each grain is separate. It may take a couple of hours. Sprinkle a little water if needed.
3. Meanwhile boil the potatoes. Peel and cut them into small pieces.
4. In a mixer grind the curry leaves, garlic, ginger and lemon juice adding a very little water if needed.
5. In a pan heat the oil and add asafoetida and cumin seeds. When they crackle add a few curry leaves and the slit green chillies.
6. Now add the blended curry leaf mixture and saute until the oil separates.
7. Tip in the potato pieces and the mentioned spice powders.
8. Now add the sabudana, crushed peanuts and stir carefully until well mixed and done. Do not overcook them as the khichdi will become sticky.
9. Finally squeeze the lemon juice and garnish with dessicated coconut and fresh coriander leaves.
Linking to : Eat Nutritious Feel Fabulous