Chana dal ... 1 cup
Bay leaf ... 1
Green cardamoms ... 3
Cloves .............. 3
Cinnamon stick ... 1 inch piece
Dry red chillies ..... 2
Onion .... 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
Garlic ...... 1 clove (crushed)
Ginger ..... 1 tsp (grated)
Tomato puree ... 1 tbsp
Asafoetida ... a pinch
Turmeric powder ... 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder ... 1/4 tsp
Sugar ... 1/4 tsp
Salt .... to taste
1. Wash and soak dal for few hours.
2. Pressure cook dal with 2 cups water adding salt and turmeric powder. The lentils should remain seperate. Avoid making them mushy.
3. Heat oil in a frying pan. Add the whole spices first and when they leave an aroma add the asafoetida and the chopped onion, ginger and garlic.
4. Fry until the onion becomes slightly brown. Now add the pureed tomato and the spice powders, salt and sugar. Saute until the oil separates.
5. Add the tempering to the cooked dal. Add water according to the consistency you desire.Bring to a boil.
Note: Adjust the seasoning according to your preference and you may skip the sugar if you want.