Dhokla is a Gujrati snack which is light and healthy and the most preferred one. .. easy to make. There are many kinds of dhoklas, some are instant ones made with semolina or besan., the sandwich dhoklas with mint chutney spread between the two layers, and the ones made with rice and dals after grinding and fermenting the batter.
Earlier I had posted the instant ones made with semolina. This recipe is with rice and dals batter.
Rice ..... 1 cup
Urad dal .. 1/2 cup
Chana Dal .. 1/2 cup
Methi seeds .. 1/2 tsp
Yogurt .... as needed
Green chillies .. 1 tsp (crushed)
Ginger paste ... 1 tsp
Sugar ...... 1/2 tsp
Eno ..... as needed ( I use 1 tsp for each batch )
Coconut .... for garnishing (grated)
Coriander leaves .. for garnishing.
Slit green chillies .. Saute and use for garnishing.
Mustard seeds ... 1 tsp
Sesame seeds ... 1 tsp (crushed)
Asafoetida ..... a generous pinch
Red chilli powder .. 1/8 tsp
1. Soak the rice and dals for 6 - 8 hours or overnight. Add methi seeds to soak together.
2. Grind them coarsely to the consistency of semolina.. Mix together adding salt and leave it to ferment. (It may take a longer time in winter.(I heat the oven for a minute, switch off and keep the vessel inside after a few minutes)
3.When you are ready to make dhoklas, add some yogurt (according to the consistency), crushed green chillies and ginger paste. Mix well.
4. Take out the batter separately in batches as much as you want to steam. Add a little eno and squeeze out lemon juice on top of it. The eno reacts and becomes frothy.Mix it immediately.(One thali I add 1 tsp of eno )
5. Pour it into a greased container and steam for 10 - 12 minutes.
6. To check out weather it is done, insert a knife and it should come out clean.
7. Let it cool. Cut into square or diamond shape. Repeat the process with the remaining batter.
8. Heat a litle oil for tempering. Add the mustard seeds, sesame seeds and asafoetida. When it crackles, switch off the gas and add red chilli powder, sugar and lime juice. Sprinkle a little water and mix well until the sugar is dissolved.
9. Spoon this on the dhoklas. Garnish with grated onion, coriander and green chillies.
Serve with mint chutney or garlic chutney.