This is a spicy fish curry from Maharashtra.. The fish fillets are slow cooked in a tangy and spicy gravy with the flavours of Kolhapuri masala powder.
Fish -- 500 gms
Garlic .... 2 tsps (crushed)
Tamarind paste .. 1-2 tbsps (as you like it )
Turmeric powder .. 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida .... a pinch
Kolhapuri masala ... 1 tbsp (add more if you like it spicy)
Coconut milk .. 1/2 cup
Salt .. to taste
Oil ... 2-3 tbsps
Kolhapuri Masala Recipe .. See HERE
1. Clean the fish and marinate with half the garlic, tamarind paste salt and turmeric powder.
2. Heat oil in a pan.Add asafoetida and the remaining garlic.
3. Saute and add water.When it boils add the spice powders and salt.( Add salt carefully as the fish is also marinated with it )
4. Tip in the fish slices and cook until almost done.
5. Stir in the coconut milk and boil for half a minute.
Keep the spice level according to your preference. You can also add slit green chillies / red chilli powder to the curry if you love spicy food.