Seekh kabab is a popular snack from Middle Eastern Countries and is supposed to be brought to India by Moghul rulers. Seekh Kabab is made with minced meat and spices. A small portion of this mixture is flattened and moulded around the skewers and baked in a tandoor. At home we can make them in the oven.
Chicken mince ... 250 gms
Onion ............... 1 small
Garlic paste ...... 1 tsp
Ginger paste ..... 1 tsp
Corn flour ........ 1 tsp (or) bread crumbs ... 1 tbsp
Red chilli powder ... 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder ..... 1 tsp
Coriander powder .. 1 tsp
Garam masala powder .. 1/2 tsp
Tandoori colour ........... a pinch
Salt ....................... to taste
1. Wash and squeeze out the water completely from the mince.
2. Add all the above ingredients and mash it well. If you have a fine chicken mince you can knead it with hand. If it is coarsely ground mince, use the food processor.
3. Take a portion of the mix on your palm and bind it around a skewer or a chopstick. Wet your hand and keep pressing the kabab to give it a smooth texture. Slide it out and place on a greased baking tray. ( you can apply a little oil on the skewer/chopstick before you start making the kabab so that it slides out easily)
4. If you are directly grilling on a barbeque, you can leave the kababs on the skewers..(chopsticks cannot be used here)
5. Cook them in a pre heated oven, turning once until done. (It takes about 15 - 20 mins. Serve with kachoomar.
How to make kachoomar:
Slice onions and soak them in salt water for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze out from the water and add a little salt, vinegar and finely chopped green chillies and coriander leaves.